An imperial masterpiece built by Sinan…
Süleymaniye Mosque was built on the order of Sultan Süleyman (Suleiman the Magnificent) who was the 10th Sultan of the Ottoman Empire. It’s designed by the Imperial architect Sinan and its construction was finished in 1558.
As with other imperial mosques, Süleymaniye was established as a külliye, meaning that it was organized as a charitable foundation overseeing a complex with a hamam (public bath), a hospital, a school, a caravanserai, medreses (Quran school) and other charitable organizations in addition to the mosque.
The courtyard at the Süleymaniye is exceptional and is surrounded with columns of marble, granite and porphyry. At the four corners of the courtyard are the four minarets. The interior of Süleymaniye is quite subtle and peaceful.
In the garden behind the main mosque are türbes (mausoleums) of Suleiman’s family including the tombs of Sultan Suleiman and his wife Haseki Hürrem as well as his daughters Mihrimah and others. The tomb of architect Sinan is located outside the mosque walls.
We like: The view from the Mimar Sinan Teras Café located behind the mosque.